Sunday, February 24, 2008

Demonstrating Surface Design

On Saturday, February 16, 2008, I demonstrated Low Water Imersion Dyeing and Surface Design at the 22nd Annual Artist Retreat at Greenbo Lake State Park located in Greenup, Ky. The event draws artists from Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia and features a judged exhibition in 2D and 3D works and numerous demonstrations. Approximately 150 artists and guests attended my demonstration. The Art Cloth that I'm displaying is titled "The Dance of Life" and is raw silk noil that has been dyed and over dyed 3 times and bolck and screen printed. The finished size is 45" x 96".

This piece is "Urban Renewal" and is black cotton sateen that has been discharged, over dyed, sceen, and block printed. This work was inspired by an old, brick building in Lexington, Ky. Paint was peeling off the bricks and vines were climbing up the walls - reclaiming the building!



Here I'm demonsating Low Water Imersion Dyeing.

Following the LWI Dyeing demo, I demonstrated screen and block printing.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for referring me to your blog. I have so enjoyed looking at all of your lovely pieces! You have inspired me more than you know!
Also, thanks for responding to my question about your lovely screen print. I just may have that Dover book! I will have to check.

Thanks again,
Judy

p.s. I'm glad you started your blog!

cat in tassie said...

Thanks so much for mentioning your blog on Quiltart. Your art cloth is stunning! How I wish I lived closer so I could come for classes, but it's a bit far to travel from Tasmania LOL.

cheers,cat